
Getting off the metro (the station is still called VDNKh) just before noon, I was confronted with the Kosmos monument. Definitely an iconic Moscow sight, and one of several such items that make the visit to VVTs obligatory for tourists in Moscow, in my opinion.
To get to the monument from the metro, you actually have to first navigate an intimidatingly bustling row of shops, cafes, and gambling establishments, known as the "Alleia Zviozd," or Star Alley. One of the things that struck me this time was how clearly the branding of some of the slot-machine halls is aimed at children (gambling is set to be a huge social plague in Russia, as well as big business):

Zolotoi Arbuz (Golden Watermelon) casino across from the metro station entrance.

Fan-Fan Slots Club.

Joker-club casino.

Limon Gambling Club (the word Limon is slang for a million as well as meaning "lemon").
Another funny thing to see in and around the VVTs was the incongruities between items being sold on the same patch of signage:

A confederate flag promoting "Rock gear" shares space with an African-themed ad for the "Magic Camel" cafe, at the end of Star Alley.

Billboard advertising biotoilets (a.k.a., port-a-potties) on the left-hand side and musical instruments on the right-hand side; apparently you can buy both at the VVTs.

Billboard advertising electroshock devices for "self-defense" alongside an ad for a children's club.
There was a lot of snow on the ground that day (as there was all winter, until it vanished miraculously during the first week of April):

One of the many pedestrian alleys at the VVTs that were snowed under. You can just see the tops of benches peeking out from under the drifts along the walkway.
And many of the attractions which draw Moscow families to the VVTs in the summer were closed or unused on this wintry day:

Unused "Free Throw" basketball game with NBA player images (no doubt unlicensed) and the seductive words "Win a Prize!!!" on the base.

Empty but spinning carousel-type ride (known as a gribok, I think, because it's shaped like a mushroom).

The book fair was very well attended, though, in spite of the weather.
And on the way out, I saw more interesting advertising:

The woman is sporting a sandwich board advertising "Street" clothing from a store called "Ghetto."

This woman's sandwich board advertises a Voentorg, or military apparel store, and the word in large print is "body armor" - guess that's their most popular product. The large archway in the background is the majestic entrance to the VVTs grounds.

"Street level hip hop shop" - the man in the photo is obscuring an ad for Rocawear - at the end of Star Alley.
4 comments:
Ooh, I love love love VDNKH park! I went there on a beautiful summers day last August and spent two hours walking round taking photos. The fountains with a figure for each Soviet republic, the girls in their summer tops....
It was great. And I got there on the metro all by myself. I've got a few good photos I can ftp to you if you're interested.
Tim, you haven't spent a summer day at VDNKh if you didn't find the shooting gallery near the wine pavillion. That is fun stuff. I can't wait for it to get sunny and warm so that it'll be worthwhile to go out there for no particular reason other than to enjoy the weather.
I think I know the one. I went out with a Muscovite girl (whom I met on that trip acutally) for a month or so, and she lived near to VDNKh park, and used the gym in the nearby Kosmos Hotel (I'm showing off, name dropping here!). She sent me a picture of her at the shooting gallery, whuch seems to be quite popular.
I miss Moscow. I may go in July before my St. Petersburgh visit. We'll have to meet up, for sure.
How interesting! I did not realize that the confederate flag was synonymous with rock'n'roll. My father would be proud.
Is it just me or is it a little disturbing that body armor is sold at a festival-like marketplace?
What is a Hip Hop shop? Do they sell music or clothes or what?
Post a Comment