Monday, February 26, 2007

"For lust of knowing what should not be known"

Memories from my trip to Samarkand in late July 2005. The first one was taken on July 23; the rest on July 24. As you can see, some of the more photogenic things turned out to be Soviet-era cars. I decided not to include any classic tourist photos, although of course the city's architectural marvels are quite photogenic as well. A highly recommended destination - lots of inexpensive B&B's. These people can hook it all up for you.

The sign says, "Uzbekistan - a country with a great future" - I. Karimov

An old "humpbacked" Zaporozhets.

A mint-condition "kopeika" (VAZ 2101) in one of the factory colors.

Transporting something - bread, I presume.
The pipes in the background are above-ground
gas lines - common in the post-Soviet space.


A later and lest aesthetically successful version of the Zaporozhets.

Vegetable oil, which I believe is cottonseed oil - and little else - in this aisle of the
local market. Note the reused packaging - Coke, Fanta and mineral water bottles


More reliable than a Zaporozhets.

No comments: