From: Moscow, Consular Warden [address redacted]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 10:02 AM [EST]
To: Moscow, Consular Warden
Subject: Warden Message
This is a warden message for U.S. citizens in the Moscow Area. Please distribute it to your American citizen friends and colleagues. If you are a Warden, please notify your Warden Group. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail [snip] or telephone (7-495-728-5577).
The Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs has advised the U.S. Embassy in Moscow of several large demonstrations planned for Saturday, April 14th in Moscow at the locations listed below. Moscow city authorities do not rule out the possibility of violence, and will be providing a large militia presence, particularly in the area of Pushkinskaya. The Russian authorities advise Americans to avoid downtown Moscow on Saturday, or to exercise caution if you must be in the area. We wish to remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.
The times and locations are as follows:
12:00 PM - Pushkinskaya Square, Sparrow Hill, and Turgenevskaya Square – Molodaya Gvardia and Other Russia, expecting up to 20,000 people.
1:00 PM – Slavyanskaya Square – Union of Right Forces.
2:00 PM – Bolotnaya Sqaure - Movement Against Illegal Immigration and Congress of Russian Communities, unlikely to draw as large a crowd.
For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs internet website at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Worldwide Caution, Public Announcements, and Travel Warnings can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747, toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
For more information about safety and security while traveling in Russia, please reference the State Department’s Consular Information Sheet for the Russian Federation: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html
Friday, April 13, 2007
Demonstration Day
No doubt everyone will be following events in Moscow closely tomorrow (along with events in Kiev!). Unfortunately I don't have time to write or even think too much about what's going on in my former city of residence, but I wanted to share the email that the US Embassy in Moscow sent out today to the Americans who have registered with them as residing in Moscow. They send these out every once in awhile when something big has happened or may be about to happen - sort of like a travel advisory, but more targeted. I guess I need to tell them that I no longer live there...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I used to love getting these when I was on the Fulbright. I especially like how they warned about various scams like the turkey drop. Unfortunately I don't get them anymore . . .
I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:
www.americanlegends.info
If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.
Thanks,
David
Post a Comment