Sunday, June 12, 2005

Heading home

It's been a great week in Shanghai, I am not sure how representative this city is of the rest of China, but the development here is truly amazing. We are on our way back to Moscow now; found a China Telecom internet access point at the airport, which once again will not allow me to access blogspot websites, so responding to comments will have to wait ntil we're safely at home. Also, I had to give the attendant my passport number to use the internet, although it seemed like a very pro forma thing.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to this flight. On the way here, I had been assuming that Aeroflot would fly decent equipment on such a long flight, and was unpleasantly surprised to find myself seated on a Russian-made
IL-96. Forget the in-flight movie (in Aeroflot economy class they always seem to have "technical difficulties with the video system" anyway) - this plane didn't have a single monitor or TV screen anywhere. And rather uncomfortable seats, which made the redeye here less than restful. I'm expecting the same on the flight back.

At least we will have very pleasant memories of this trip. The wedding last night was at an
incredible venue, a club situated in a villa in the French Concession which apparently used to be the British Consulate and is quite posh.

1 comment:

Tim Newman said...

Ah, Aeroflot.....all the comforts of a military transport without the organisation.