Shadows
Strolling around in the area between Ostozhenka and Arbat, I took a couple of pictures of a building that I think is the Vietnamese Embassy, an old mansion with lovely if grandiose architecture which had icicle clusters of amazing size dangling from clearly faulty gutters. Then I took a picture of an address sign on the building next door just so that I could remember the street name and ended up liking it better than the icicle photos:
Pomerantsev Pereulok, around 2:30pm, February 5, 2005.
5 comments:
Don't we get to see the photographs of the icicles?
Strange brickwork. Maybe it's some fancy cladding...
I will post the icicle photo (or two) tonight. Good point.
Thanks for the memory - I used to live just 15 minutes walk from there. Will be back for more reminiscing later for certain.
Yeah, thanks for the memory! We used to live on this street in 2001 - a wonderful area, I really miss that time...
The brick building is the office of the Vietnamese Military Attache or something, not the Embassy. They used to have Lenin's bust made of bronze staring at you from one of the ground floor windows - used to freak me out.
Right next to the Vietnamese, there's an embassy of some small African country (can't remember which now) - a beautiful, old building with a very neglected courtyard - lots of broken chairs standing around, and some huge containers dumped where the flowers were supposed to be. Also, they used to hang their clothes to dry on the lines in the basement - a very dorm-like attitude. And a cop guarding that embassy used to feed a very clever-looking doggie that, after a while, began guarding the guard.
There's also the Egyptian Embassy there - with nothing eccentric about it...
Thanks for all the other wonderful pictures and writing, too!
Veronica
Veronica, thank you for the comment. I saw that the beige brick building was the VN defense attache's office, and I guess I assumed that meant their embassy was the ornate-looking building next door (the one with the icicles). I am always afraid to walk up and stare at the placards next to those embassy buildings, because there's usually a militsia guard nearby and they tend to look at you funny when you do that. Anyway, thanks again for stopping by and commenting - I am doing my best to live up to the high standards set by your Backlog and a couple of the other quality blogs of this region.
Post a Comment