Like many bloggers, I use a counter to track the (in my case, rather meager) traffic to my site. You can see the counter for yourself by scrolling all the way to the bottom of this page and clicking on the "Site Meter" icon - there is an option to have the counter remain invisible, but I have nothing to hide, and anyway you have to pay for that option.
One of the features of this counter is that it allows you to see the domain names of most computers accessing your site (click on "By Details" under "Recent Visitors" in the left-hand column - I believe this is accessible to anyone). It is always interesting, and a testament to the power of the internet, to see that people are looking at (or at least clicking past) your site in many, many countries.
So earlier today, I noticed that someone from a more interesting domain name - osis.gov - had visited me around 11am Eastern time (I think this counter uses Central time, or else it's delayed by an hour). I decided to see what unfamiliar government agency was checking out the blog, and it turns out that OSIS is the Open Source Information System - "an electronic network for accessing and sharing unclassified and open source information and value added services among Intelligence Community agencies and related organizations," or, more simply, "an unclassified network serving the intelligence community with open source intelligence." Cool. Come back soon, guys.
4 comments:
Firefox, in the UK. Dude! It's like a mirror.
Well, not really, obviously.
I assume you're kidding. The domain came up as osis.gov. One would think they could mask the domain, but perhaps not.
Cool! Congratulations. I don't have anyone nearly that interesting visiting my site. =)
Does your counter show you referrals? I can't find it on it.
Extreme Tracking, http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/, IMO, is the best of the free ones, breaking down visits by geography, IP, and how they got to your web page.
Post a Comment