Teremok bliny, or crepes, are highly recommended if you're in Moscow - you can get them as dessert, filled with jam, applesauce, or chocolate; or as a meal, filled with ham and cheese or even chicken breast, as well as caviar. Though the last of those is a classic Russian dish, I don't recommend it in this venue - it's the priciest thing on the menu by far, and who knows how long the caviar has been sitting there? Plus it's a bit silly to eat anything containing caviar on the street- get your elite bliny in a restaurant.
All of the other options, though, are delicious (well, I've never tried the one with herring, so I don't know for sure about that one, but then I am not a big herring fan). They even have a professional-looking website (linked to above). Below is an older photo (December 2, am I obsessive about dating things or what?) of Lorina enjoying steaming tea and a piping-hot blin, with more being prepared in the background, at our favorite Teremok.
The last time I tried to photograph the blin-making process, a couple of days ago, I was told by the always friendly cooks that photographing them at work was not allowed - management does not want competitors stealing the trade secrets. "Always friendly" is written with no sarcasm in this case (though sarcasm is generally to be expected when discussing the friendliness of service-sector employees in this country) - one of the cashiers even knew my regular blin order for awhile, before my tastes changed and I started ordering different things every time. They offered to come out of the kiosk (it's a trailer, actually) and be photographed, but I didn't take them up on it.
1 comment:
Great web..
Russian Dating
Post a Comment