I can't leave the Teremok website alone. It is strangely fascinating to me, perhaps because I am hungry, although this is helped by looking at some of the photos on the menu page. I am sure the people paying good money to have this website set up think this looks like Gourmet-magazine-quality food porn, but I have to say that the bliny are actually more appetizing in real life than in these rather unnatural-looking pictures. Plus, you don't actually want all of the ingredients bursting out of the blin like that - makes it tough to eat standing there on the street. And (on a more personal note) the photo of the ham-and-cheese crepe shows that management does not understand that customers want the cheese melted. Or at least I do. But often it isn't, so I guess the photo reflects reality, although it's usually slightly more melty than in the photo on the website. Am I really blogging about this?
Anyway, physical hunger aside, the "forum" section of the site gives customers hungering for a good service experience the chance to sound off, and they receive surprisingly candid responses from Teremok's management. Visitors to the site can start their own threads and, if sufficiently disgruntled, engage in debates with the company's management about, for example, their commitment to quality. My favorite thread is called СДАЧА (yes, it's in all caps on the site, meaning someone set it up that way), or CHANGE, not the kind Putin is trying to effect, but the kind you get when you've overpaid for something.
Anyone who has tried to buy just about anything in this country using cash has a story about a surprisingly surly cashier who expected you to have exact change. Sometimes if your bill is REALLY big (500 or 1000 rubles, about 18 or 36 dollars, respectively) the cashier will just tell you that you can't make the purchase, see ya later. This is always a fun survival game. The ways to win it are 1) look sufficiently apologetic and say very sad things about how you're really, really sorry you don't have change; or 2) start yelling about how you don't understand why they don't want to take your money. Since it's never clear until too late which of these methods will work in a given situation (it depends on that specific cashier's personal life, self-esteem at that moment in time, etc.), the only foolproof method is 3) try to go change your "big" bill somewhere else, usually by purchasing a pack of gum or something, since appealing to people's desire to help you out generally gets you nowhere in Moscow. It's interesting that the posts on the Teremok forum about this issue show that this irritates average Russians (OK, make that average internet-access-having Russians) also, not just spoiled, whiny expats.
I am on a roll now - I think I'll post to the Teremok forum about making the cheese more melty.
6 comments:
Watch out for the the law of unintended consequences! Your request on the Teremok forums to "...сделать так, чтобы сыр расплавился" ("make [the bliny] so that the cheese melts") will likely encourage the блинопеки (bliny-makers) to simply pop the poor pancakes into the microwave. Result: melted cheese, all right, but a rubbery, mushy blin and more than likely a burned tongue to boot. Not sure which is worse...
You found my post! And here I thought I remained cleverly semi-anonymous by identifying myself only with a single letter. The Teremok website forums are clearly the way to reach the masses. This is where the Russian equivalent of the "Orange Revolution" will start.
On a more serious note, you are right that we should always fear the worst. However, I am counting on a money-saving mentality to keep Teremok management from investing in microwaves, since the Teremok outlets I visit most often don't have them at this point.
And would it really be so hard for management to issue a directive that when making a blin with cheese, the cheese goes on first, so that it has maximum time to melt while the blin is still on the griddle? As it currently works, they sometimes put the cheese on after the cold horseradish sauce (is this too much information?) which keeps it from melting at all.
From the company's response to your "cold cheese" post on the Teremok forum: "Но вас ждёт небольшой сюрприз по поводу сыра. Думаю, что к концу января в Москве!"
So, nu, has the "syurpriz" appeared, and if so, what is/was it?!
Jamie, I haven't been to Teremok in the last week or two - I went a couple of times in January after getting back from vacation in the States, but not since then. Probably they are going to add some kind of new menu option - cheese sauce or "plavlenny syr" (soft/melted cheese), but that is just a guess. I will check it out and report back. I was impressed to see that the Teremok guys responded to my post the same day, even though it was December 30.
Jamie, I went to Teremok tonight and was served by the always friendly team of Nadezhda (one of my favorite Russian names - as you probably know, it means "hope") and Anna. But there was no "surprise" of any kind - the same menu, the same quality, although I was able to get the cheese more melty by asking nicely. How's that for service?!
[Feb. 10, 2005 - noticing that the Blogger(tm) comment feature does not have date stamps, I am beginning to understand why more experienced bloggers use other comment engines]
Все равно, жду "сюрприз"! ;->
I wish they'd had Teremok when I lived in Moscow. We had to make do with that Russkoe Bistro chain that sold pirozhki, soup and the like, and that Traktir Yolki-Palki chainlet which used a LOT of mayonnaise. Service and "snap-to-it" at Teremok is impressive indeed!
Speaking of bliny, I look forward to your pics of/posts on the upcoming Maslenitsa festival (which I think kicks off on March 7 -- there's a whole website on it at maslenitsa.com). I am sure that you wouldn't miss it for the world!
Please let us know about the mysterious "syr-priz" (!) at Teremok if and when it materializes...
Post a Comment