Saturday, January 29, 2005

Winter

It has been snowing for the better part of 3 days and got really cold (-15 to -20 Celsius) for the first time all winter. As you might expect, this city just goes about its business under such conditions - things don't seem to close down. And I have an irrational and tough-to-pin-down positive feeling every time I see the flakes coming down and the snowscape, which I am convinced is 80% attributable to growing up in Washington, DC - a town where snowfall meant you got to stay home from school. The other 20% of my affinity for snow stems from the cleaning, softening effect it has on this otherwise often dirty and rough-around-the-edges city, plus the chance snowy weather gives you to dress up in winter gear and caper around outside:


My lovely wife, Lorina.
Jan 28, 10:30pm, on Triumfal'naia Square.

5 comments:

Tim Newman said...

That's what a lot of people don't get about the cold in Moscow. When I got back from Moscow last year after it had been about -15 Celcius, I told people about what it was like. I have a few friends who have either served with the Royal Marines in Norway or worked on the oilfields of Prudoe Bay in Alaska. They scoffed at the Moscow temperatures, saying where they were it was this that and the other below freezing. However, what they don't appreciate is that in such conditions, they only had to perform certain specific tasks outside (with all the hi-tech equipment) before rushing back inside again or crawling into a sleeping bag. They don't have to carry out normal activities.

In Moscow, on the other hand, you have to hunt for an ATM machine, try to get a taxi, wait for a tram, or go to buy groceries in similar temperatures. This puts an awfully different persepective on things.

Anonymous said...

Dang! You're blogging up a storm now! Very cool pictures.
-Robert Mayer

-- said...

Your weblog is remarkable! ..All these professional pictures from a place I'd liked to have visited, but never gotten on my way to do, yet. You've obviously laid down A LOT of work in your photo-journalism.

-Is it true that the Moscow subway looks somewhat similar to the one in St. Petersburg? It seems more elaborately decorated, but some similarity strikes through, nonetheless.. Or, perhaps most Russian subways are this nice?

I've put up a link to you from my blog, I'll sure come back to check any updates!

Scraps of Moscow said...

Thanks for the positive feedback. I wish I had more time to be out and about in Moscow and to take better photos. For the most part, my method is what I learned from my Mom a long time ago - the more photos you take, the more good ones you will wind up with, and usually you have to take a lot of shots to get a few good ones. This is of course much easier with a digital camera. Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting, a reciprocal link will be forthcoming next time I update my template.

-- said...

Very wise words from Your Mother there.

Yeah, digital photography has made it more economic to take 'backup' pictures, and then there's the added benefit of easily being able to upload them for others to enjoy, as well.

-I forgot to mention, that where I live in Norway, there's been a week ago, where the snow poured down constantly, almost like where you are. This week, however, the rain has made it's counter-attack, so it's not very pleasant, to say the least. It's been 'gnawing' on the snow, so one can see the asphalt again, and even grass.. -One could almost be fooled into believing that autumn is back to stay.. :)

And, ofcourse; thanks for offering the link-back, it is most appreciated!