Friday, January 14, 2005

Home again (briefly)

A quick post from rainy DC, where we are spending a brief 2 1/2 days before heading back to Moscow. It always feels like there's a rush when we're here - to see everyone we want to see and do all the errands we need to do before leaving - and this time is no different. I am able to blog straight from my laptop while reclining on a couch thanks to a generous neighbor of my Mom's who has not password-protected his/her home wi-fi network. OK, off to another busy day of appointments and fun - more impressions about this trip will appear in this space soon (since I know you can't wait).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for linking to my site, All About Latvia.com. However, I have a little bone to pick with you. Latvia is neither Russian nor is it a par of CIS. The three Baltic States are the only republics of the former USSR who are now a part of European Union. Lumping Latvia with Russia or CIS may be offensive to some people.

Otherwise, have a safe flight back to Moscow and once again, thanks for linking.

Aleks
www.allaboutlatvia.com

Anonymous said...

I definitely dig your site. I would like to see more articles about Russian and Soviet pop-culture. I also think you should have a gallery on your site to showcase all the fotos you shoot. Your website is excellent.

Scraps of Moscow said...

Thanks to both "Anonymice" for the comments. I am aware, of course, that Latvia and the other Baltic states are neither members of the CIS nor part of Russia. Sorry that my blogroll categorization implied otherwise. As someone married to a citizen of Moldova (which was not even part of the USSR during the interwar period, though it is now a CIS member) who has to hear some of my American friends and family ask about my "Russian wife," I am more sensitive to these issues than you might think.

I think I'll solve this problem the same way lots of "Russian Studies" programs did in the early 1990's - by calling the category "Eurasian Blogs." Hopefully that's broad enough to avoid causing offense to anyone.

Anonymous said...

More info about...
www.navoprosotveta.net