Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Sharp objects?

I know this is a strange post and chronologically out of place, but I can't understand why, after going through stringent security at the Frankfurt airport to board our flight to DC on January 1, we were given metal cutlery with our dinner on board the plane:



See, this bothered me enough that I even took a picture of it. It didn't bother me because I think it made anyone less safe - when I boarded a plane the week after Sept 11 and was asked if I had any sharp objects, I told them I had pens and keys, and I still think those items are potentially more dangerous weapons than nail clippers, so the whole "sharp object" restriction is not applied very logically, in my opinion. And I was allowed to board in Frankfurt with metal collar stays (as I looked for an explanatory link, I found this well-designed page that's funny because it is selling something I didn't know I needed), which set off the metal detector but were not checked for sharpness. It just bothered me to go through the whole security rigamarole and then see that Lufthansa was giving every passenger something that none of them would have been allowed to bring on board themselves.

No comments: