t.A.T.u., the most shameless of all manufactured pop sensations, have become critics' darlings. Dangerous and Moving can be described, without reservations, as a very good second album. It's stronger and stranger than the debut, and t.A.T.u.'s improbably winning songwriting formula—equal parts Roxette, Nine Inch Nails, and Buddha Bar—has, by now, been sharpened into the kind of sound you recognize from the opening bar.Guess it must be worth a listen. I haven't heard the new album, so I don't really have anything to say about it, but I do remember that their first album was much more enjoyable than one might have guessed.
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Slate critic likes Tatu
I hesitate to break my long silence with something this fluffy, but this story is worth checking out if you have any familiarity with or interest in the Russian pop music scene. The music critic on internet magazine Slate, an enclave of the American intelligentsia (to the extent that there is such a thing), not only loved Tatu's "All the Things She Said" (the English-language version, sort of, of "Ya Soshla s Uma"), but was surprised by the quality of the duo's latest release:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I must confess, I quite like Tatu's music. Their new single was released in the UK a month or so ago - I think it did OK in the charts.
The video though, is really strange. Basically, the dark haired girl is a (implied) hooker, goes back to someone's house, something goes wrong and she kills him. Then her red-headed friend, who while all this has been going on has been determinedly driving her high performance car through the dark, rain slicked streets, rushing to her friend's rescue. All without her the dark haired killer ever picking up a phone to tell her what's happened.
Well, it puzzled me. I think the video's still available on their website, if you want to check it out yourself.
I thought the new song was dull, but like their impresario's latest discovery, 'Muslim' singer Nato, & her song Chor-javon
Jeff, thanks for the tip, I'll try to pick up a disc when I'm in Moscow next month.
i've been waiting for someone to come along and make the admission that he liked tatu. from what you saw, how big are they in moscow?
Post a Comment