Slate writes this week about how bloggers in academia have a hard time getting taken seriously when they are up for tenure review (thanks to Bram for bringing this article to my attention). The article is long but interesting and should make every blogger think - well, except for those who either blog for a living or are independently wealthy and don't need to worry about getting - or losing - a job in the future. I always expect a potential employer to Google me and find this blog, which is why I try to keep things more or less within reasonable boundaries. But it's entirely possible that someone could read the wrong few posts and think they don't want to hire someone so opinionated. Just makes you think about maintaining a healthy degree of self-censorship.
For some reason this all reminds me of the old Russian saying - a word is not a swallow - once you let it go, you can't catch it again (since I don't have a Russian keyboard handy, I'll render the original as "Slovo ne vorobei - otpustish', ne poimaiesh'", and will invite anyone who thinks I've got it wrong to comment). Even if you delete your blog, I think Google still keeps it cached for a while. So be good, for goodness' sake.
3 comments:
I forgot about the cache. I am doomed.
Do you know anything about a singer named Irakli, & a song called Vremya?
Naw, I have fallen behind on the Russian pop scene since moving back to the US a few months ago. I guess I need to get some satellite dish that lets me watch MuzTV.
Well, it's a great song, you can download it. Iassume any info about him online is in Cyrillic, so I can't find anything. He's had several #1 songs in Russia
Post a Comment