Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Resources for students

Students of Russian (and other Slavic & East European languages) should check out the Slavic and East European Language Resource Center. I may be biased, because the project was developed in part by some of my favorite professors ever - the wonderful family of people at Duke University's Department of Slavic Languages & Literature, which looks like it may now be called the Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies - but if you're looking for an Albanian or Romani reference grammar, or a Russian Grammatical Dictionary - with sounds! - I'm not sure if there's anywhere else such things are to be found on the web.

A very different, but equally interesting, online resource that I happened upon recently is an extensive collection of materials on the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, provided by the University of Michigan Special Collections Library.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Raffi Aftandelian said...

Lyndon,

Do you know of any good links for people to teach themselves Cyrillic and basic Russian?

Am really enjoying your blogroll.

Also, should you know of any good links for describing Moscow (practical guide to Moscow for a foreigner) would be very grateful.

I know, it may seem strange, you're in DC, I'm in Moscow and asking for such info. But, I am new to this russo blog world and am (together with Moscow colleagues) organizing an international conference (openspaceworld.org, openspaceworld.ru) here next summer. Would love to have a set of Russo-friendly links for people next year.

best,
raffi

Scraps of Moscow said...

Raffi, I would just try googling for some phrases that suggest what you're looking for. I know I've seen those things before. Megan Case's blog (in the blogroll) has some links to things to do, mostly in SPB, but at least one is Moscow-related. As for resources to learn Russian, Elizaveta's Russkiblog - http://russkiblog.blogspot.com/ - has lots of them. I've just added her to my blogroll, it was some kind of oversight that she wasn't on there.

Raffi Aftandelian said...

Thanks will do!
Best,
Raffi