For two reasons, it is disturbing to think that Western readers may regard Pelevin as Russia's most representative writer. First, Pelevin does not readily distinguish between things as they are and his arcane elaborations. A naive reader may confuse his phantasmagoric ravings for true descriptions of Russian reality; this reader will never talk to any Russian again without a burning desire to run for his life. Second, Pelevin might actually be Russia's most representative writer.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
High Culture
Viktor Pelevin has a new book out - The Helmet of Horror. The Moscow Times' Context section has this to say about Pelevin's notoriety outside of Russia:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lyndon,
Thanks for your kind words about Maaskva: nashimi glazami (MNG).
I really enjoyed the list of Eurasian blogs. I tried reading the Farsi blog on Moscow (I left Iran at age 12, a few years after the revolution, so can still read the language). What a treat!
I would invite you to write something (however short, even a few words is fine) for MNG. Contributions are welcome from anyone for whom maaskva was home if only for a few seconds.
I'll add you to the "nogs" section of MNG. You might also be interested in the other blog I started recently, tales of a toy (talesofatoy.blogspot.com).
Warmly,
raffi
Post a Comment