Moscow... A strange city, entirely unlike any European capital. America growing through the ancient walls of the Kremlin, the geometrical Lenin mausoleum next to the multi-colored Asiatic Saint Basil, a moth-eaten droshky next to the newest Hispano-Suiza, both stopping at the command of a policeman's white stick, the policeman wearing European white gloves and having an obviously Mongolian face with high cheekbones and narrow eyes; large shop windows displaying caviar and sturgeon and on the opposite side of the street a long queue of people waiting to buy herring or grain...
From Evgeny Zamyatin's lecture, "The Modern Russian Theater."
Originally delivered in Prague on December 20, 1931.
Happily, Andy is back and blogging. This makes me feel better about dropping out of sight for another couple of weeks in order to dispense with exams, and drop out of sight I must. But Andy has a handle on most of the stories I would be covering anyway, so check out SiberianLight for your fix.
1 comment:
Cheers, Lyndon. Good luck with the exams, and I hope we see you back before Xmas...
Post a Comment