Moscow Times, March 15, 2005I suppose television is the "sole information source for many people these days" for many in America and Western Europe as well, but these are countries where television channels (if not individually, then taken as a group) present the news in a more or less balanced fashion. Not so in 21st-century Russia. The wide-open media window of the '90's has slammed shut.
"To Join the Elite, It's TV That Counts," By Nabi Abdullaev
It's not how powerful you are but how much coverage you get on television. That was the finding of a recent opinion poll that asked Russians across the country to name the most influential personalities in politics, business, culture and science.
Unsurprisingly, respondents readily picked President Vladimir Putin as the most powerful politician and pop diva Alla Pugachyova as the leading cultural figure. [...]
Many respondents were unable to name a single scientist, leading to a top- 10 list that bunched together Nobel Prize winners with dead scientists, television hosts and a hostage negotiator.
The sometimes startling answers are a direct result of television, which is the sole information source for many people these days, said Irina Palilova, a sociologist with the Levada Center, the independent polling agency that carried out the survey.
"This poll reflects that people just don't understand what the elite is and can only come up with names of figures who are popular in the media," said Olga Kryshtanovskaya, head of the Center for the Study of the Elite in the Russian Academy of Sciences. "Members of the elite are those who rule and decide, but the public knows little about those people," she said.
As such, Putin was followed on the list of the political elite by ultranationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky, whose fist-waving antics are often shown on television. Third place went to Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov, whose complaints about government social reforms got significant television coverage in January, when the poll was conducted. Also on the list were State Duma Speaker Boris Gryzlov (4), liberal politician Irina Khakamada (5), Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov (7), and one-time political heavyweights Yabloko leader Grigory Yavlinsky (9) and Mayor Yury Luzhkov (10).
After Pugachyova, the list of cultural figures included Oscar-winning film director Nikita Mikhalkov, crooner Iosif Kobzon, comedian Yevgeny Petrosyan and pop singer Nikolai Baskov. Not a single writer, artist or philosopher made it into the cultural top 10.
"The cultural elite is only identified as those who are stars," said Vera Zvereva, a culture researcher with the Institute of General History. [...]
Only 67 percent of respondents were able to name anyone in the scientific community. In the end, Nobel-winning physicist Zhores Alfyorov topped the list of scientific elite, while the late Nobel Peace Prize winner Alexander Sakharov placed third and Nobel-winning physicist Vitaly Ginzburg placed fifth.
The list also included physicist Sergei Kapitsa, who hosts a TV science show (2); the late eye doctor [and former presidential candidate] Svyatoslav Fyodorov (4); pediatrician Leonid Roshal, who assisted in negotiations during the Dubrovka and Beslan hostage crises (6); and animal television show host Nikolai Drozdov (8). The science list was rounded off by Moscow State University rector Viktor Sadovnichy (9) and, bizarrely, Nobel Prize-winning author Alexander Solzhenitsyn (10).
The survey asked 1,600 people in 46 regions to name five or six people who they believed were members of the nation's political, cultural, economic and scientific elite. The margin of error was less than 3 percentage points.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Why Russian TV is important
The survey covered in this Moscow Times article, accessible via Johnson's Russia List, highlights precisely why the restriction of free expression and multiple viewpoints on Russia's national TV channels (a theme which I have covered in the past) is so detrimental to democracy in Russia and so upsetting - the channels are tremendously influential in shaping public opinion:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I don't know if you ever visit provincial Russia. I do.
The situation is much worse there as the internet penetration level is zero compared to Msk and Spb. Most people have never heard of Lenta.Ru or whatever internet "smi" you name. They just don't know what's happening in their country and the world and where to gain that knowledge.
I've been successfully avoiding watching TV news for almost 3 years. And when I have to to I usually feel only shame and anger regardless of channel
Interesting but I wonder what percentage of Brits could name anyone in the scientific community? 67% might be quite respectable..
I hate to say this but "Welcome to American style news!" Here, we have so many sources and, upon watching or reading as many as possible each day, the sourceces have different names for the same story! I hate it here. The news forms public opinion in favor of a stupid man-Bush. In spite of the "leftist" label on the news, it is still unbalanced and uninforming of real events in the world or even in the US.
So sad . . .
Interesting comments. I don't get out to the regions enough to have a good impression of the situation there, although I would imagine the monopolization of the information space by the state-run media (or by local media which have a sycophantic attitude toward the local and national authorities) is nearly complete.
Watching "Vremia" and "Vesti" always makes me outraged also, so I watch them less and less, but every so often I will tune in to remind myself just how bad they are.
As for the cultural literacy of Brits (or Americans, for that matter), I would be most interested to see the results of such a survey in the US or UK. I would imagine that there would be some correlation between the people named and the list of people with the most media appearances, and I think the results in the US for scientists might be quite amusing, but I still think there are more diverse viewpoints expressed in the media in western countries than in the Russian media. To put it differently, this survey demonstrates the influence of television on public opinion, which is probably universal; what's scary about the situation in Russia is that TV is as influential (and probably more influential, especially in the regions) as in other countries, and it's become so one-sided in the last several years.
Parenthetically, I do agree that the major US TV channels are very weak in their coverage of foreign events, but the American media consumer has many more potential news sources readily available, even in rural areas, with the penetration of cable and satellite TV. This is not the case in Russia.
Post a Comment