Sunday, March 27, 2005

Moscow: an "aggressive," "overwhelming" city

Carmen at carmen mirada has an interesting post about Moscow architecture. She introduces the topic as follows:
Before moving here to Buenos Aires, I lived in Moscow. Without doubt, it's the city I've loved the most unconditionally, as I've always known it would sooner bite than embrace me back. It's the most aggressive city I've ever had bearings in, with an architecture that befits this by being overwhelming in its level of ideological inscription.
I couldn't agree more with that description, although for me DC will always be the city that enjoys truly unconditional love. Moscow is aggressive, and you can always sense it trying to bite you, but somehow that grows on you. If you've ever tried to walk around the city anywhere other than downtown, you know how intimidating the scale of the distances and roadways to be crossed can be. When we eventually move away from here, though, we will miss it, probably more than we can imagine.

2 comments:

Setti said...

Wow! Nice Blog!
___________________
С уважением, Setti
http://settionline.blogspot.com/

Carmen said...

Yes you're right about moving away, I miss Moscow terribly- a distance that's even more difficult to scale. I read your blog every day so I can still get a little dose of that stunning city ;)