Monday, August 01, 2005

Non sequitur - photos from SPB



It seems a bit out of place/time to be posting these photos of St. Petersburg from an internet cafe on Stefan cel Mare Blvd. (formerly Ulitsa Lenina, I believe) in Chisinau, but I guess I had to get away from Moscow to find the time. These pictures were all taken on July 5th, in the midst of my celebratory just-quit-my-job trip to Russia's northern capital.

The photo above is amusing (maybe) because of the way that the sign has been altered. It used to say, "Push button, wait for the green signal"; now it says, "Push button, wait for the green cash," "nal" being slang in Russian for "nalichnye," or cash money. I'm ashamed to admit that without a guidebook I don't know what the building in the background is - it's on the Neva Embankment on the Vasilievsky Ostrov side, if I recall correctly. [UPDATE: an alert reader has reminded me that the building in the background is the St. Petersburg Birzha, or Stock Exchange, which makes the message on the sign all the more appropriate. Thanks, Mom.]



Abandoned boots waiting atop a Metro ventilation shaft for their owner to return near Ul. Kuibysheva.



I was focusing on capturing the cleaning lady in the upstairs window and didn't even notice the "Casino" sign on the building until I had taken a few unsuccessful shots. Not sure why I like this one so much.

No comments: