Thursday, April 26, 2007

Downtown Tiraspol in pictures

"Board of Honor" on the wall of an enterprise near the bus station
- it was vacant when I first saw it in 1999, and it's still vacant today.

Lenin statue on the square in front of
the main government building.

Statue of Suvorov

Near the Suvorov statue. WWII memorial signage; the sign
on top of the building is promoting a construction company, I
think, and says, rather imperatively:
"We are building the city in which you will live!"

Street scene near the main government building.

Inside the wall is a time capsule.

The plaque is addressed
"To the generation of Tiraspolians who will greet the 100th
anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution"
and is inscribed as a
"Declaration of the workers of the city adopted at the rally
on 7 November 1967 dedicated to the 50th anniversary of...
[the Revolution, I assume, but the last bit of text has worn off]"

The billboard says "We love our city!"
The street-level signage is from the government-organized
youth organization "Proryv" - the PMR's answer to Russia's
Nashi - which uses Che Guevara for its logo.

Central movie theater "Kinoteatr Tiraspol"
The empty boards say "Today" and "Coming soon"

Ususally one sees tank trailers like this one selling
kvas, but in this land of the Kvint distillery (whose
logo is on the tank) and large-scale wine production,
they are used for wine also.

All of these photos were taken on Aug 7, 2006. I have run a couple of them before in black & white, in case they look familiar. There are some much more spectacular photos of Tiraspol available on Flickr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pictures look really familiar) like long ago in past it used to be)
and the trailer with "kvas" is so oldschool)

Scraps of Moscow said...

Yes, the PMR definitely likes to keep it old-school...

Next time I want to try to go to Bendery (Tighina) and see the fortress, as I understand it's no longer off-limits to foreigners the way it used to be.

Unknown said...

good luck trying to visit the fortress. that's the quickest way to get arrested....