There's been a lot of talk about begging in the Russia blogosphere lately. Rubashov posted a thoughtful essay on how he handles Moscow's panhandlers; he then provided space for a response from LR; and Natalia Antonova took issue with LR's harsh words about begging babushki. I have decided to let Russia's beggars make the point themselves:
Underpass near Rizhskaya Metro station,
Moscow, Dec. 25, 2004.
The sign she is holding says "two motherless grandchildren."
Moscow, Dec. 25, 2004.
The sign she is holding says "two motherless grandchildren."
Moscow, July 15, 2005.
And while I know they aren't beggars, street musicians often compete with beggars for rubles from passers-by, so I thought these pics would also be relevant:
See also this earlier post with a photo of a homeless man sleeping in a metro entrance. And this recent one with a couple of photos of down-and-out Muscovites.
No comments:
Post a Comment