Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Another quality American export

From the Vzglyad news website [my translation]:
Pamela Anderson to MC the MTV Russia Movie Awards
April 19, 2007, 01:40
Hollywood actress and model Pamela Anderson will host the MTV Russia Movie Awards ceremony.

The winners will be announced today in the Pushkinsky movie theater in Moscow. Pamela will be accompanied on stage by popular TV announcer Ivan Urgant.

As the organizers of the actress's trip to Russia told ITAR-TASS, she arrived in Moscow on Tuesday. This is her first visit to Russia, and Pamela wanted to get to know the city better. She has already had a chance to visit Red Square, to see the Church of Christ the Savior, and to go shopping. Pamela is being accompanied on her trip by her friend, stylist, make-up artist, and hairdresser, who will prepare the actress for her appearance on stage.

All Russian films released between 2006 and 2007 are eligible for the MTV Russia Movie Awards. The prizewinners are determined based on viewer voting and will be determined only during the awards show itself. [...]

The awards ceremony will be broadcast live not only on MTV [Russia], but also on the internet, where it will be broadcast live online for the first time.
Here's MTV Russia's announcement of the online broadcast; you'll be able to watch online here, apparently, and can also check out MTV's silly and unoriginal decision to use a bear as the mascot/symbol for the 2007 awards show. I'm curious as to how they're going to handle the translation and how scripted Ms. Anderson's remarks will be. Not curious enough to try to watch online, but if anyone does see this "шоу" I'd love to hear about it.

I can already imagine certain Russian bloggers talking about how this is a perfect example of the kind of dreck that America exports, and that anyone who supports Another Russia (or its liberal components, at least) is just supporting an onslaught of globalization-driven American crap and (as the more extreme ones will tell you whilst adjusting their tinfoil hats) the divvying up of Russia into American-run colonies. Xenophobic bunk, of course, but MTV Russia is definitely not hurting their case...

4 comments:

Sean Guillory said...

Considering how often V.I.P. is reran and Russian TV, I'm surprised its taken this long to import her.

Scraps of Moscow said...

That is a great point - I had totally forgotten about that show, but it does seem to be on TV quite frequently. I'll admit to having watched it in more bored moments...

Anonymous said...

maybe they're doing it just to give Borat a second chance at proposing?

Scraps of Moscow said...

Jacob, would you believe I have never actually seen Borat?

Maybe Sascha (or however he spells it) Baron Cohen is among the numerous people who have found this blog in the past few days by googling "2007 mtv russian movie awards Anderson" or something similar.