Tuesday, May 17, 2005

This could be bad

I've seen this item mentioned in comments over at Registan.net, so I thought I'd translate it in its entirety (not much to it):

Uzbek authorities are preparing a general mobilization
IA Ferghana.Ru, proprietary information, 16.05.2005 17:33
The statistical directorates of Uzbekistan's regions have been tasked this week with starting a headcount of the male population fit for military service. Employees [of these directorates] reported this to Ferghana.Ru correspondents and said that they had never before engaged in such work, and that their superiors did not provide any explanation whatsoever as to the goals of this survey, which they were asked to complete "urgently."
No one seems to know why they are doing this. My opinion: in all likelihood, rather than preparing for a draft or military mobilization, the authorities are trying to figure out the pool of potential rebel recruits.

No comments: