Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Posters

OK, I need something more light-hearted after that last post, then I'll have to go to sleep. The time stamp on here is not some time-difference-distorted time, it's really that late - snowy day pics before the end of the week, I promise! These are two assemblages of posters which I saw in St. Petersburg:


Advertising (L to R, bottom row) live boxing and other martial
arts, a "Music Hall" program, a pop music concert, and a two-day
rave called "Sausage Factory 5."


Looks like "Vagina Monologues" has made it
to SPB, and that no-talent pop star Valery
Meladze (lower left) has a detractor who tried
to paper his eyes over with an ad for something
else. I also like the arrow (upper left) pointing
potential customers to an unlikely pairing of
products - cell phones and auto parts.

Both photos from Liteiny Prospekt near Nevsky,
taken around 2:40pm on February 13, 2005.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool blog.

Tim Newman said...

How many words are there in Russian for "factory"?

I know of two: fabrika and zavoda, none of which look as if they are on the poster.

Scraps of Moscow said...

Tim, the word I translated as "factory" is "цех." Probably the more precise translation is something like "production unit within a larger facility," but that's a bit unwieldy for translating a poster heading.

www.multitran.ru gives the following English definitions: "chop [sic]; section; guild; workshop; shop; house; manufactory; guild; department; shop floor."

Katzner's dictionary translates it as "shop (in a factory)."

As for pop-culture uses of this word ("цех"), a variant of it appears in one of Vladimir Vysotsky's more famous songs, "Диалог у телевизора":

- Ой, Вань, умру от акробатиков!
Гляди, как вертится, нахал!
Завцеха наш - товарищ Сатиков -
Недавно в клубе так скакал.

The variant used here is "завцеха," meaning the head of Zina's production unit at the "5th Sewing Factory" ("пятая швейная фабрика") where she works.

You can find these lyrics among the most complete collection of Vysotsky lyrics and other resources that I've seen at www.kulichki.ru/vv

But I digress. In answer to your question, Multitran lists the following Russian words as translations of "factory": "завод; фабрика; производство; предприятие; фактория."

Obviously, if you put in "plant" or "production facility" you could find other words that would be very close in meaning to the concept expressed by the English word "factory. This is why translation is such an inexact science.