Saturday, September 17, 2005

Reflections of, and on, abandoned buildings


I don't usually post photos taken by anyone but me, but I liked this one a lot. I found it here, on the Moldovan photography community on LiveJournal. The photo is by someone who goes by the username inf_ected - whose LiveJournal site has more excellent photos.

The location in the above photo is a place I've driven by several times. It's just south of Chisinau, outside of the city on the shore of a lake. The plan, or so I've been told, was for this hulking building to be a hotel for long-haul truckers, and presumably lakeside holidaygoers as well. However, the building has been standing unfinished, as you can see on the photo, for years.

Maybe it's like the tall building in downtown Chisinau whose unfinished shell was condemned but left standing after earthquake damage rendered it uninhabitable; or maybe it's like the numerous unfinished apartment blocks I saw a few years ago in Balti, Moldova's second-largest city (if you don't count the ones in Transnistria), where construction just petered out before being completed after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leaving behind rusting crane skeletons picked clean of any valuable scrap metal.

Photos of similar sites are available on abandoned.ru, a site which I've mentioned in the past and which is definitely worth a look.

1 comment:

Tim Newman said...

This abandoned buildings site is worth a look too.