Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Culture Shock

I knew I would have moments like this when I moved back... The week after I arrived in DC, I was walking down the street late at night with an old high school friend. We were both headed home and were talking about something, I don't really remember what about. Anyway, we were passing the "Lowest Price" gas station at 14th and W Streets, NW, in Washington - I guess they do still have the lowest price, even though it's 3 times what I remember from the last time I lived in DC 5 years ago.

All of a sudden I saw a police car and a couple of officers standing next to the car, and my first thought was that my friend and I should immediately stop our conversation or at least stop speaking English - I'm used, of course, to not wanting to be overheard speaking English when walking past cops in Moscow. I overcame myself and kept chatting normally, but it was surprising to me how strong the impulse was. Afterward, I told my friend about my reflex, and we laughed together about it. It hasn't happened again since, which I guess means I'm adjusting, slowly but surely, to being back home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ag said...

JUST discovered your blog - just after you left and 2 months after I moved to Moscow. I'm blogging a little to keep in touch with family. Anyway, I'm going through the archives and wanted to tell you that it's really great.

The graffitti is awesome, too. I'll send a photo of a "Dr.Vomit" stencil I saw on Bolshaya Ordynka as soon as I figure out how.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to remember this when I am in Moscow at the end of September.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyndon, your home for good or coming back to Moskva soon? Wonder what that first comment was about? Some patriotic Russian flaming you? Happens to me all the time.

About culture shock. Its the same for me, even though I fly out of Russia pretty often. Probably the only thing to be really concerned of are the cops in Moscow. Did you hear the rape story from the subway cops? And that they shot the boyfriend of the victim, because he had the courage to do something about it?

By the way. After living in NYC for such a long time I am always shocked when I see people drinking beer on the streets (guess you say in public). In Russia as well as in Germany. Recently a friend handed me a bottle at some BBQ in Spain and I caught myself looking around and checking for cops. So much about cultures and habits.

Last Tuesday I met a friend and he told me about Zachem. Its actually a crew. A bunch of people tagging and painting together. He went painting with them and I'll get the photos. Will post them for you.

Take care and greetings from Munich. Just arrived from Moscow today. Nice and sunny with 26 C. Just what I needed.

Chris "two-zero"

Scraps of Moscow said...

Chris, great to hear from you. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be back in Moscow until December, and even then only for about 10 days. So, I guess one could say that I'm now based in the US again, but I like to think that the only time I'll ever be anywhere "for good" is when I'm six feet under. The deleted comment was just run-of-the-mill comment spam - "Your blog is great. I'm sure you'd be interested in internet marketing..." - nothing as interesting as some of the flame-like comments I've received on earlier posts.

The story about the woman getting raped by the subway police is quite familiar to me - the only reason that particular incident came out was because her boyfriend tried to obtain some kind of justice and was shot for his troubles - but I am sure that there are countless such stories that go untold, because the police are a law unto themselves.

I've heard this about Zachem - one of the guys who started Code Red magazine (although I'm not clear if it ever got off the ground) mentioned that this crew has some kind of extreme ideology, but I never got the chance to meet with him and find out more specifics. If you have any photos, let me know once they've been posted as I'd certainly be interested to see them. Incidentally, have you seen the visualartifacts.ru stickers up around town? The project looks sort of interesting, although it seems to have some commercial angle.

Greetings from Washington, and welcome back to Moscow - enjoy the city for those of us who can't be there.

Megan Case said...

I know what you mean, though when I was back in DC in August I also had the opposite problem -- had to keep reminding myself that everyone around me understood English, so I couldn't maintain the illusion that my public conversations with people were somewhat private. I mean, enough people in Russia speak English that you're not really safe making snide comments about passersby, but I always think if something's whispered and spoken fast and uses slang, you can sort of get away with it...