
This is a bit of political satire, presumably in connection with some elections which must have been scheduled around that time. It was posted on a fence on Chisinau's main square, right next to the town's own small version of the Arc de Triomphe. The writing, in both Russian and Moldovan, exhorts the reader to "Vote for Enema." The smaller text promises, "Only we will give you wealth, health, and happiness," and the line at the bottom identifies this as the handiwork of the "Laboratory of the 'IZM' creative group."

This was on the wall of the staircase leading down to the pedestrian underpass near the Hotel Chisinau. It is - was - an advertisement for "seasonal work in the USA."
3 comments:
Death to spam comments.
What kind of "seasonal" work would be available to a Russian in the US? Or is this poster fishing for more Russian mail-order brides?
Elizabeth was referring to two spam comments (e.g., "...c ya, the wholesale man"), which I've dutifully deleted from the post. It seems like lately I get one or two of these whenever I post - must be a Blogspot problem.
As for seasonal work in the US, I think it could be legitimate - every summer, there are a fair amount of college kids who come to the US from Europe (including former Soviet countries) to work at hotels, summer camps, etc. Last year, a bunch of the Russians had big problems getting their US visas, as I recall, so maybe the post-9/11 paranoia is making it harder for people to do this.
I would be more suspicious if it promised "good jobs in Western Europe" - posters or ads like that in Moldova are almost always looking for women to be sold into what is essentially sex slavery.
Seasonal work in the US for russian students is definitely legitimate, under J-1 designation I believe. Seems those Visas can only be obtained through agencies, and the applying student must pay a significant amount of cash to apply and get into the program. However, if they are accepted and get the visa, they get about 4 months in the US, usually with accomodations and US pay scale and some free time to explore the country. I'm not sure why it is only done through agencies, but that is just what I hear from Russian and Ukrainian students who have applied and come to the US for summers.
Post a Comment