Sunday, November 14, 2004

I love the box

Sometimes people ask me why we don't have cable or satellite TV here. Well, we had the basic cable package from Kosmos-TV for awhile when we first moved here and we practically never watched it. The reason is that Russian broadcast TV can be (although it is not always) so damn good for entertainment purposes. Of course, if there's a world crisis of some kind, it would be nice to have CNN (even the inferior CNN International, which is what you get here, with "Diplomatic License" instead of "Crossfire"), but that alone is not worth the monthly fee.

OK, so tonight we went to the theater ("Стакан Воды" - I'm not sure of the original name - by the French playwright Eugene Scribe at the Stanislavsky dramatic theater, which is just 1/2 block from our front door), therefore I can try to be ironic about my penchant for watching Hollywood movies here and just maybe sound credible. Before we left the apartment, '80's classic "Back to the Future" was on STS, and when we got back the viewer's tough choice was between "Minority Report" on Channel 1, "The Nutty Professor" on Rossiya, and "The Living Daylights" on NTV.

With all of those entertaining options, I don't know how I find time to maintain this blog...

2 comments:

Madley said...

Hello there,

Is it true that it's USD$99 per month for Kosmos TV? (I clicked on the link?) Of course, I can't read Russian (or speak it either) but boy, if that's what it costs... I also clicked on the Stanislavsky link to maybe see some photos... is the first show there "Hamlet"? I'm guessing of course, but that'd be cool if I guessed right! LOL

Sorry, I "don't know you well enough" (YET) to tell if you're being sarcastic about Back to the Future, etc. :)!

Scraps of Moscow said...

Kosmos has lots of different packages, some of them are as cheap as $12 a month. You can check them out (in English) here: http://www.kosmostv.ru/packs.php?lng=_en