Should I just get over being amazed by the power of the internet? We're planning a trip to Kiev (or Kyiv, whatever, all of that linguistic nationalism and taking offense at different spellings is so 1993), which, since it will be Nov 5-8 could, I suppose, be turned into a post-election observation trip if we were so inclined. You know, since, according to John McCain, these elections will be pretty "crucial" -- you may have to register at WaPo to read that somewhat pompous piece. I prefer the more informal tone of a recent Bol'shoi Gorod cover piece (my linking is already becoming predictable less than a week into this blog thing) about Russians living in Kiev and, among other things, meddling in the presidential campaign there.
Anyway, we're trying to figure out if the rental apartments being offered to us are legit and needed to see a detailed map of the city - all I had to do was search rambler for "карта киева" and there it was - searchable by street name and everything.
Of course I was already familiar with the Moscow and SPB equivalents - remarkably helpful when getting around in a land of confusing addresses where buildings sometimes have various wings (корпуса) which may be located hundreds of feet from the street named in the address.
Incidentally, the estimable Mr. Johnson (see previous post) found room after all to include my latest contribution in his most recent batch - I think I'll leave it up here, though, also - why not?
No comments:
Post a Comment