I heard an
extensive and pretty even-handed report about Abkhazia on NPR's Morning Edition today. I guess that means it's finally "arrived" as a mainstream news topic - that, or they are trying to inform their listeners before open hostilities break out there.
In the meantime, I've been reorganizing some of my old books* which have been languishing in boxes since we moved back to DC from Moscow - the reorganization is in preparation for our move later this year to London, although we won't be taking these books with us. Before re-boxing them, I took some quick photos of a few of the books and the maps of the region therein which might be of interest to Caucasophiles (photos are of book covers and then one map from each of the books):
Caucasus Travel Guide, c. 1929
Schematic map of agriculture, industry, oil pipelines,
electrification, and railroads planned and under construction
Georgian Military Highway, 1925
Map of the Transcaucasian SFSR
Abkhazian Alps, 1930
Schematic map of the eastern portion of the Black Sea coast* Please note that all of these books were exported from Russia with the appropriate permission from the Ministry of Culture!
1 comment:
You thought sometime to grow thin?
I have read interesting articles [URL=http://nuttrisystem.5nxs.com]nutrisystem jobs 2010[/URL]
Can it is necessary to try?
Post a Comment