[image source]
The cover of the latest issue of the New Times calls the current (and perhaps future?) period "Междуцарствие" -
And in an intriguing development which suggests that finely honed Russia-watcher skills might soon become transferable to US politics, a recent article in e-magazine Slate discusses how Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama "could run together and take turns being president" for the next 16 years by "creatively using the constitutional rules created by" the little-known 25th Amendment to the US Constitution.
6 comments:
The translation could be either "interregnum" or "poliarchy": a politely malicious pun.
Well, you're right, of course, it's actually a real word (I didn't even think to look it up until your comment), and I just assumed it was some sort of play on words. I was trying to get at the pun on "interregnum" with my invented "interregency." Thanks for the comment.
ഇത്രേം വന്നതല്ലേ, ഇതും കൂടി കണ്ടേച്ചു പോ
I feel like this whole discussion is premised on a contradiction - that a system - both constitutionally and historically - predicated on the personification of power will somehow continue with two individuals filling or competing for the role of one.
I think the only scenarios are:
1. Medvedev as puppet or caretaker
2. Putin actually relinquishing power, and just sticking around for the first term to make sure nothing hits the fan
or
3. An adaptation in the Russian system, where power and responsibilities will be divided b/t the president and PM.
I don't think that even 'Putvedev' knows which scenario will play out yet. Still, the inquiry of whose chair is tougher is false - we already know the President's chair is the toughest in Russia.
Extremely nice..
It's really street art photography..
a regard from Pekanbaru City - Indonesia
Jesse, I agree with you completely. All of this is just idle speculation and wordplay while we wait for whatever is going to happen to happen.
By the way, a family member and sometime reader of this blog has suggested another moniker for the current Russian political system: hypocracy.
Post a Comment