Wednesday, March 05, 2008

It's funny because it's true...

This video has over half a million views on YouTube (is that a lot? I confess I don't know...but it seems like a lot, so I apologize if this post is the equivalent of an email forwarding you a joke you've seen five times already) and has been up since last month, but I first saw it today thanks to someone emailing me the link. It is by a KVN team from the city of Perm'.



So basically, a bunch of guys in Perm' got together and - using a comedy skit uploaded to YouTube - did a pretty good job of making the same basic point as Human Rights Watch did in its 2008 World Report about the problem of a "democracy charade" in many countries (see also here for a discussion putting Russia in the context of that report).

3 comments:

Emil Perhinschi said...

Kavkaskaya Plenitsa ... this can be read in so many ways.

Excellent work, from lip synchronization to script. These guys should get a rise. :)

Scraps of Moscow said...

Right, I should have mentioned that the video is from a classic Russian comedy movie - the Perm' KVN-shchiki added only the audio. In case anyone is experiencing a language barrier, the dialogue is translated here.

Unknown said...

Heh, I have to admit it took me a little while to catch on to the fact this was a audio dub. I haven't seen Kavkaskaya Plenitsa yet (it's on my list).

I was thinking, "man, they really nailed the color and look of the old comedies". Then Yuri Nikulin shows up and it finally dawns on me.