Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Moscow Memory


From March 5, 2005, a photo taken after I had put my mother-in-law on a train to Chisinau.



View of Moscow from the last car of the Moscow-Chisinau train.

CIMG3517, originally uploaded by lyndonk2.

6 comments:

La Russophobe said...

Hi Lyndon,

Excuse this SPAM, but the web page with the translation of the NASHI propaganda brochure

http://publicoffender.livejournal.com/

has gone down.

The brochure is here

http://www.krusenstern.ch/p733.html

but in German.

I've seen you indicate a willingess to translate and post the brochure but say it wasn't necessary given the original web page. That's change, I invite you to do so.

nicu said...

mother in law from chisinau! that explains so many posts about transnistria, as well as your apparent knowledge of (at least some) romaniann :)

i've taken that train quite a number of times as well...

Scraps of Moscow said...

@LR

A comment from LR asking me to do something?! I guess I should be suspicious. Perhaps you should revisit and peruse your rather less friendly earlier comments on this blog before inviting me to undertake a bit of work which I'm sure you'd find useful. I'll translate that brochure (and comments thereto), because it is indeed outrageously offensive and should be available to English-speakers, but only when I have time, which won't be in the coming weeks.


@npopescu

Yes, I was fortunate enough to meet the daughter of my future mother-in-law while on a study-abroad program in Chisinau in 1999. I was actually interested in Transnistria, and in Moldova's fascinating yet unfortunate status as a frontier of Europe, even before I visited the country for the first time, and happily we've been back at least once every year since. The place still intrigues me, and I wish I could spend more time there, although I've been lucky enough to have the chance to visit Tiraspol a few times, Balti and Soroca a number of times, and Ungheni and Comrat once, not to mention outings to various villages and recreational spots outside Chisinau. Even more fortunately, my wife is not from Chisinau, but from a town called Floresti, asa ca am avut posibilitate sa ved adevrata viata in tara Moldoveneasca. My spoken Romanian/Moldovan is much better than written...

La Russophobe said...

LYNDON:

If you think I was asking you to do me a personal favor, you must be a mental case. The fact that you chose to inject personal vitriol into a matter of pure scholarship which I raised in good faith (pointing out that your link to the material is now broken, and you still haven't fixed it) goes to show my earlier comments may well have had some merit. I guess I'm capable of rising above such matters in the interests of of providing information, but you're not.

I've got several translators who can easily do this work, and I can do it myself. But I didn't want a duplication of effort as you've already indicated a willingness to do it.

Oh and by the way, Lydon: YOU started the unfriendliess. Your attempt to imply otherwise is bald rubbish.

Scraps of Moscow said...

LR's on the rant, and all's right with the world. Thanks for reverting to form so predictably. I'm not sure where you saw "vitriol" in my comment above, but anyway...thanks for mentioning that the link is now broken, I'll be sure to credit you for that observation if I update the post.

Scraps of Moscow said...

Indeed. I'm all about the vitriol. The predictability is calming in a way.