We finally made it to an internet access point after being here for 4 days. Internet access is hard to come by, and here in the basement of the Shanghai Library I'm unable to access any "blogspot" sites for some reason (although accessing the blogger site to post has not been a problem), so I can't use this time (as I had hoped) to respond to some of the comments I've received in the past few days.
Shanghai is an amazing city. There is definitely lots to see here. In the interests of seeing more of the city and less of the basement of the Shanghai Library, I'm going to make this post short and promise to post some photos from here later (perhaps much later) once we're back in Russia.
4 comments:
More on Uzbekistan - you might be interested in Craig Murray's short piece in the FT Magazine. I checked back on Registan and they didn't seem to have it.
http://davidp1.blogspot.com/2005/06/lying-through-his-teeth.html
---
Hmm, maybe its that fatherly hand of Censorship again laying its tender, protective touch.
I frequently had problems accessing certain websites while in Beijing last year, perhaps because the government is known to set firewalls between 'dangerous' net information and its 'impressionable' citizenry.
The evil empire of the BBC, for example, is on its hitlist.
Also, if this is happening in a sanctified haven of study, it may just be a form of NetNanny, as has just been made compulsary by law for all internet cafes in Buenos Aires.
A kind of Censorship perhaps not so overtly 'political', but still intentioned to protect the innocent, here in Buenos Aires it frequently stops me from entering all 'blogspot' sites because they are evidently really dirty.
When in Chinese libraries, please Lyndon, read up on Confucius rather than looking at internet porn. You are an example to others!
Carmen, that is good advice - I'll save the porn surfing for when I'm safely at home.
DavidP, I checked out your post on the Uzbekistan aftermath. Interesting. I think Nathan over at Registan has a profound beef with Murray, which is why that article wouldn't have shown up there.
Post a Comment