Monday, May 15, 2006

Highly recommended

This is a great article.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting article, but it doen't really have any answer to the real question posed:

why do the Russian people love a strong leaders?

which is pretty basic to understanding the Russian people.

Not that anyone else has an answer either.

Alex K said...

Interesting yes, but the question should be not "why do they?" rather "do they?" And they don't: what the author mistakes for leader worship is a longing for a different world, one where a distant leader takes care, and good care, of all the dirty things associated with "politics," leaving the common man alone and free in his private realm.

Aryamehr said...

Hi,

I don't know if you're russian or not but I hope that you are aware that the Russian government is supporting a terrorist Islamist regime in Iran. A regime that is ruthless and unleashes savage islamists upon it's people as you can see in my latest entry on "Iranian women's protest being attacked by Islamists".

Please support the Iranian people in their fight for freedom and democracy. Russia, China, and the European countries who are supporting this barbaric Islamic Regime need to stop their support and start supporting the people of Iran.

Best regards!

Giustino said...

I can't help but enjoy the topic. I had a Russian friend tell me in the early days of the Putin administration how much more handsome, intelligent, wily...great, Putin was that George W. Bush.

I just couldn't understand the cult of personality that she was embracing. We have it here in the 'States. There is a part of our population that think W. can do no wrong, and that even when he messes it up, it was done on purpose, because W. is so smart beneath his dumb exterior that he plans everything (for example, "Bush wanted to create an insurgency in Iraq so we could fight them over there instead of over here!").

But I think most Americans recoil at the idea of worshipping a leader. We don't want kings. We want mortal men we can kick around and crap on in the media. It makes us feel empowered :)

But many of the Estonians I know seem to think that the tsar is the only way for Russians. That a democracy where politicians are one order lower than dogs, like they have (their press is brutal) will never exist in their Eastern neighbor.

Maybe it is just foolish to ask questions about Russia and expect a rational answer.

Alex K said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex K said...

Actually, Giustino, most Russians rank their politicians a few orders below the level of canines. But Putin is not a politician.

Anonymous said...

The answer is simple - we've always had strong leaders in our history. It's a tradition. People are used to that. So when Yelstin, who was also powerful in the beginning, started drinking heavily, the country collapsed into chaos. That's why people respect Putin.

Frank Partisan said...

I found this blog surfing.

There still is Great Russian nationalism alive. I t has always been insular, coarse and part of a cult of strength.

Good blog.

Edd said...

There still is Great Russian nationalism alive.

Anonymous said...

"There still is Great Russian nationalism alive."

****

As well as Great Ukrainian, Great Moldovan, Great Romanian, Great Hungarian and Great Albanian, all which hypocritically don't get the attention of some.

Carpet cleaning San Mateo said...

That is the precise blog for anybody who needs to find out about this topic.

Expungement said...

Thank you for this interesting article. I will be sure to get the word out about this on my site.