Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Welcome to Moscow


A non-ethnic Russian is welcomed to the capital by a friendly local police officer asking to see his documents. Near the Kievsky train station, December 27, 2005.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're back!

I remember well sitting in Sheremetevo 2 airport for a full 12 hours once (it was bloody freezing outside, and I was heading back to the warmth of Siberia), watching a couple of police guys at the door stopping people as they came in. They must have asked at least a couple of hundred people to show their documents. Not a single one was an ethnic Russian.

(Having said that, my girlfriend told me last week that, while she sat in Canary Wharf, London, eating her lunch, she watched police stopping passers by and checking their bags. Again, not a single one of those stopped was white.

Scraps of Moscow said...

Andy, I'm just trying to keep the flame flickering here - absences of nearly (or maybe even in excess of) a month are not good for a blog that claims to be at least partially about "current events." Hopefully this summer I'll have more time and will be back for real.