
How could I resist a scene containing a barbershop sign, peeling paint, obscene graffiti, a sneering old woman (who, admittedly, entered the shot unexpectedly), and discarded ladies' boots? You'll have to take my word that I didn't position the boots - their previous owner must have wanted them to find a good home, and they were in fact no longer there when we walked by the same spot later on in the day (Dec 23).

More abandoned footwear - this time of the children's variety - near Turgenev Square, at 9am on the morning of December 26. I do realize that after my previous post singing the virtues of SPB as a city that's photogenic even without its inhabitants, I'm posting two pictures which prominently feature those inhabitants. What can I say, Russia is full of contradictions, and I'm just trying to follow suit.
1 comment:
The picture with the shoes reminds me of a story from soviet times. A lady was offered to buy a pair of shoes by a stranger in the street. As shoes were a rare commodity in those days, she eagerly went along with the deal. They entered a building to let the lady try on the shoes out of a bag, but as she was putting on the first one, the man suddenly screamed: "The police is coming! Give me the money if you want them." The lady handed the money over and they parted. She went home with the shoes still in the bag. As she then took them out of the bag, she discovered that the shoes were both left-footed.
Post a Comment