Sunday, April 24, 2005

Memories of Hong Kong

Please humor me as I go off-topic here, with some photos from our vacation in Hong Kong earlier this month. The ones I'm posting here are not your typical tourist vistas, I figure you can see those here and here. It's surely a matter of taste, but I liked these photos best of the many which we took over the 5 days we spent in Hong Kong:


Self-portrait taken from the front seat of the upper level of a double-decker bus, showing the single thing that most impressed me about HK - the sheer verticality of the city, April 4.


"Slow," taken from the Central-Mid-levels Escalator, April 4.


Since I've devoted substantial space in this blog to the Moscow metro, I need to include at least one photo of the
Hong Kong subway here. The subway was quite clean, just like the rest of the city; the MTR trains differ from any other subway or train I have ever been on in the fact that all of the cars of the train are open to each other, which creates the impression of being in one long, flexible train car. April 5.


The view from the bus on a hilly road on Lantau Island, where we had just seen the
world's largest outdoor seated bronze Buddha statue. Note the "Hello Kitty" toy hanging from the mirror, and if you look closely in the smaller mirror you can see me taking the picture and Lorina keeping her distance from her camera-crazy husband. April 6.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Micheal Wolf's recent exhibition 'Architecture of Density' for more photographs of Hong Kong based on this premise of verticality.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Hong Kong and when I moved to Russia I was always so shocked by the amount of reading that went on on the metro. I don't think I've ever seen one person read a book on the MTR in my entire life. Did you have fun? Did you eat at the Russian restaurant off the mid-levels escalator? Well Russian food was probably the last thing you were craving.